
For those who do not know, Raul’s best friend Jed along with his dad and brother were killed in a plane accident this weekend on their way to a father and son’s fishing trip. They crashed into a side of a mountain and they were discovered and recovered a few days ago. We heard of the news Monday night. Raul had called Kirsten because he had heard Jed’s plane was missing and only after a few hours of a slight glimpse of hope that there were survivors was crushed with the confirmation of the unexpected loss. Jed has had his pilot’s license for over ten years with millions of flight hours logged so it was not as if he was reckless or inexperienced which leaves the question of “how could this have happened? What went wrong?” I had posted about Jed and his girlfriend Kirsten three months ago when they came to visit and we went to the Mariner’s game and Motocross where Jed was the truck driver for one of the motorcycle company/sponsors.
In June Jed came out to Seattle to meet up with Kirsten over in Wenatchee. He came a day earlier and Jed and I pretty much spent the entire day together and I just wanted to share some of the things that were said and what had happened while the memory is ever so fresh in my mind.
That day:
When I got home from work at 10:00, Jed was just on his way back from a run with Wilson and Sugar. I had about a million things planned that day and because Raul could not be around, Jed tagged along. Jed and I went over and he bought me lunch and we sat and chatted about Kirsten and Raul and how proud we were of them. Jed had told me, Kir is perfect for me. She is the kind of girl that I need. She is so independent and I never have to worry about her. He also elaborated on how well Raul was doing in his career. I remember him saying, “He did it;” you could hear the proud tone in his voice.” Jed along with Raul are quiet and humble people and they don’t express their feelings or open up very often so it was a really special moment for me to be apart of Jed’s proud moment.
As our day continued, we went to get my hair cut and Jed sat there patiently scamming a People magazine while I chatted away with the lady and frequently including Jed in our random conversations.
Then it was off to workout. We road our bikes down to the track to do a workout before I had to take him to the train station. We ran some repeat 200’s and I was pretty impressed that he kept up. Jed is a pretty tough guy and has no problem with enduring a little pain. On our way back we were going up a little hill and Jed switched gears on Raul’s bike and for some reason part of the chain broke. This lead to me pulling Jed all the way home on my bike while he held on to my backpack and coasted. When we pulled into the drive way, I told him, “I bet you never do that kind of workout with any of your other best friend’s girlfriends.” As we drove to the train station we chatted about Kirsten and how amazing of a person she is and he expressed how wonderful a writer and photographer she is. Never have I seen Jed talk like that. You could tell that he found his true love and was finally at peace with it.
With a quick hug, genuine thank you and goodbyes Jed headed toward the station in downtown Seattle on his way to see his girl. If knowing that would have been the last time I saw Jed, I would have told him how much of he meant to us, meant to Raul. I would have told him how much Raul loves him and cherish his friendship and thinks of him as a brother who always has the answers and if not gives the advice of “You’ll figure it out….it build’s character.” What will we do without you Jed? I can’t wrap my head around this. I can’t imagine what his mom is going through, Jordan’s wife and children, or Kirsten. I’m so very sorry. Raul, I’m so sorry that you have lost the person who was the constant in your life.
This is my last memory of Jed and I wanted to share it with you, it’s not anything extravagant or exciting but it was a perfect memory. I don’t understand why these things happen. Jed was one of the good ones. He loved his family, his friends and Kirsten. He was the guy who would take the shirt off of his own back for you. We love you Jed and will forever keep the wonderful memories that you have given us in this life. Thank you for being Raul’s number one. I am so grateful and honored to know you. I pray for Kirsten and the Mingo family in hopes that in some tiny way, it will help coping with this awful tragedy that has now taken our world by surprise.
In June Jed came out to Seattle to meet up with Kirsten over in Wenatchee. He came a day earlier and Jed and I pretty much spent the entire day together and I just wanted to share some of the things that were said and what had happened while the memory is ever so fresh in my mind.
That day:
When I got home from work at 10:00, Jed was just on his way back from a run with Wilson and Sugar. I had about a million things planned that day and because Raul could not be around, Jed tagged along. Jed and I went over and he bought me lunch and we sat and chatted about Kirsten and Raul and how proud we were of them. Jed had told me, Kir is perfect for me. She is the kind of girl that I need. She is so independent and I never have to worry about her. He also elaborated on how well Raul was doing in his career. I remember him saying, “He did it;” you could hear the proud tone in his voice.” Jed along with Raul are quiet and humble people and they don’t express their feelings or open up very often so it was a really special moment for me to be apart of Jed’s proud moment.
As our day continued, we went to get my hair cut and Jed sat there patiently scamming a People magazine while I chatted away with the lady and frequently including Jed in our random conversations.
Then it was off to workout. We road our bikes down to the track to do a workout before I had to take him to the train station. We ran some repeat 200’s and I was pretty impressed that he kept up. Jed is a pretty tough guy and has no problem with enduring a little pain. On our way back we were going up a little hill and Jed switched gears on Raul’s bike and for some reason part of the chain broke. This lead to me pulling Jed all the way home on my bike while he held on to my backpack and coasted. When we pulled into the drive way, I told him, “I bet you never do that kind of workout with any of your other best friend’s girlfriends.” As we drove to the train station we chatted about Kirsten and how amazing of a person she is and he expressed how wonderful a writer and photographer she is. Never have I seen Jed talk like that. You could tell that he found his true love and was finally at peace with it.
With a quick hug, genuine thank you and goodbyes Jed headed toward the station in downtown Seattle on his way to see his girl. If knowing that would have been the last time I saw Jed, I would have told him how much of he meant to us, meant to Raul. I would have told him how much Raul loves him and cherish his friendship and thinks of him as a brother who always has the answers and if not gives the advice of “You’ll figure it out….it build’s character.” What will we do without you Jed? I can’t wrap my head around this. I can’t imagine what his mom is going through, Jordan’s wife and children, or Kirsten. I’m so very sorry. Raul, I’m so sorry that you have lost the person who was the constant in your life.
This is my last memory of Jed and I wanted to share it with you, it’s not anything extravagant or exciting but it was a perfect memory. I don’t understand why these things happen. Jed was one of the good ones. He loved his family, his friends and Kirsten. He was the guy who would take the shirt off of his own back for you. We love you Jed and will forever keep the wonderful memories that you have given us in this life. Thank you for being Raul’s number one. I am so grateful and honored to know you. I pray for Kirsten and the Mingo family in hopes that in some tiny way, it will help coping with this awful tragedy that has now taken our world by surprise.
8 comments:
I don't know what to say other than that I am thinking of you and Raul and the family of these 3 men. I hope you all can find peace in this. I love you Audra!
I am so sorry. Loss is NEVER easy. I hope that you will soon feel some sort of comfort. My heart and prayers go out to you and the family of your friend.
Audra that tribute was so perfect, and I don't even know him. I am so sorry for your loss! That has got to be so hard! I told Brock the story and we both were so sad about it. Our prayers are with you and his family. Tell Raul I'm sorry. Love ya!
Audra... I saw you left Tina a message about your blog on facebook and since i am a blogger too, i thought i'd check it out. I am so sorry for your and Raul's loss. My prayers go to you two. Miss you.
Meesh
Hey girl! I meant to do this yesterday, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Love you and hope you had a good birthday despite this awful tragedy!
Wow Audra, that was beautiful. Was a great thing to have know someone so special. I hope you and Raul are doing okay. Our prayers are with you and their family.
I havent read your blog in awhile,but I was missing you guys terribly so I took a peep today. I will probably cry all day,but what an awesome tribute you wrote for Jed. It is true only the good die young. My heart just aches for Raul.
Audra, there are no words to thank you for this tribute. I could sob and sob all day reading all the things you wrote. I feel abandoned by him somehow, and being reminded that he loved me like that, makes this somehow easier.
I was so comforted to see you.
Post a Comment